Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Bear all things~ Believe all things~ Endure all things


"Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be done to me according to thy word." 
Luke 1:38
On Friday February 17th, 2012….I received my first diamond! It was extended to me by the loving hand of my fiancé! With the backdrop of an awe inspiring sunrise at El Porto beach, the exchange felt like a true fairy tale. Imagine! Only a few months ago I was living in Texas without the slightest anticipation of such an experience! Oh, how God’s hand may in an instant guide you where you least expect! :)
As many of you know, I have never been attached to my jewelry. I fit the majority of my collection into an old Toms shoe-box. With regards to my African beads, Mexican icons, and felt scapular- my engagement ring is currently quite the contrast. Even though Karim was able to design it with my desire for simplicity, it is easily the most beautiful belonging which I have ever had as my own. The moment he extended it to me was, therefore, one of the most humbling experiences of my life. Responding to the request of becoming his wife, awakened in me a feminine beauty which I had never experienced. I felt so connected to this little ring. In that glimpse of beauty, I experienced myself as treasured in the hands of someone who I knew would bring me into a deeper communion with God. What a beautiful foreshadowing of our future wedding bands this may be! In expressing what also may lie hidden in our hearts, I believe that these too will act as an outward sign of not only being made for each other, but also belonging to each other!
I therefore look forward to this time of special preparation. As a time to walk towards greater purity, sincerity, and love; I think of the image where Mary of Bethany comes to Christ and breaks an alabaster jar to anoint Him with the perfumed oils and spikenard (Mark 14). Such an image, I believe, is symbolic of the moment where we are asked to break open our own hearts to transform all that it may contain. I think this may be the moment where we reach that level of profound worth, preciousness, and redeeming beauty that I saw in the diamond. How this speaks of the beauty in a total abandonment where our adoration acts as the very instrument of bringing us into the intimate presence of the Bridegroom!
As much as the diamond serves as a reminder of His love, the true treasure is, and will forever be, Karim’s generous heart which every day allows me to experience God's mercy. Oh how, my future husband has become such a prevailing window of seeing God’s love!! Our future depends on this love!! Our unity finds life in this love.
Thank you for your love my dearest Karim! What an all-encompassing adventure this will be!!!
Love you with all my heart!!!
-Teresa :) 
The photos I wanted to share were of my engagement & our recent visits with family. So between the magical and the ordinary, I think it's a pretty good glimpse of this crazy thing we call life!  :)

3 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL! ALL GOD! CONGRADS!TGBTG!
    TO GOD BE THE GLORY!
    WHAT AN INSPIRATION your LOVE is to the WORLD!
    1love ,
    Jalannia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa,
    You have brought true joy to my heart sharing these words. I have no doubt you will have a lovely marriage that brings honor to God.

    Much love to you both,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresita,

    We were moved by your beautiful reflections. We need today more couples like you, Karim and Teresa, who give themselves generously to God, who is the source of all love. May the love that you share continue to motivate and shape your life together.
    With all of our love,
    Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete