Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Treasure of Letter Writing



In packing up my bookshelves I came across one of my favorite books entitled: "Letters to Children: C.S. Lewis"(1985). In joyful simplicity, the collection of C.S. Lewis' letters shows a glimpse of his childhood, his dreams, and the imagination which illuminated his beloved world of Narnia. Demonstrating the beauty of sharing these aspects of himself, this book helped solidify my love for letter writing. :) 

I thought it would be nice to share a couple selections to encourage the continuation of letter writing which I believe is still much needed these days! Accompanying Lewis' letters are photos of the most recent Birthday Blessing party as well as a couple photos which remind me of the color and imagination which, as a child, I once read C.S. Lewis' masterpieces by :) 


[p. 31, Lewis]
"Dear Hila, 
Thank you so much for your lovely letter and pictures. I realized at once that the colored one was not a particular scene but a sort of line-up, like what you would have at the very end of a play. I thought the best of your pictures was the one of Mr. Tumnus at the bottom of the letter. As to Aslan's other name, well I want you to guess. Has there ever been anyone in the world who (1.) Arrived at the same time as Father Christmas. (2.) Said he was the son of the Great Emperor. (3.) Gave himself up for someone else's fault to be jeered at and killed by wicked people. (4.) Came to life again. (5.) Is sometimes spoken of as a Lamb. Don't you really know His name in this world? Think it over and let me know your answer! 
Reepicheep in your colored picture has just the right perky, cheeky expression. I love real mice. There are lots in my rooms in College but I have never set a trap. When I sit up late working they poke their heads out from behind the curtains just as if they were saying, "Hi! Time for you to go to bed. We want to come out and play." 
All good wishes , 
yours forever, 
C. S. Lewis." 


[p.60, Lewis]
"Dear Martin, 
It was nice to hear from you, and I know very well what it's like when there's always something to do! The funny thing is that I was far worse about writing letters when I had far fewer to write.
I am sorry for you having been bandaged all those months. Did it itch dreadfully under the bandage when one can't get at it? I know I did when I was bandaged for ages after my wound in the first war. But it's lovely when at last you do get it off, seeing your own skin again is almost like meeting an old friend! 
I suppose your exam is all over by now. I hope you did very well in it and that you will like the new school. Give my love to all the others. We are all well, We're bringing up a ginger kitten at present and it behaves very like your baby sister Deborah. 
Yours, 
C.S. Lewis" 


[p. 113, Lewis]
"Dear Philip, 
To begin with, may I congratulate you on writing a remarkably good letter; I certainly could not have written it at your age. And to go on with, thank you for telling me that you like my books, a thing an author is always pleased to hear. It is a funny thing that all the children who have written to me see who Aslan is, and many grown ups never do! 
Please tell your father and mother how glad I am to hear that they find my serious books of some value. 
With all best wishes to you and to them, 
yours sincerely, 
C.S. Lewis" 










"Prayer in the sense of petition, asking for things, is a small part of it; confession and penitence are its threshold, adoration its sanctuary, the presence and vision and enjoyment of God its bread and wine. In it God shows Himself to us. That He answers prayers is a corollary—not necessarily the most important one—from that revelation. What He does is learned from what He is." [C.S. Lewis]

No comments:

Post a Comment